Pre-race. Mood: Nervous, doubtful, irrational. I didn't have a good experience on my last race. I was in pain and decided running is not fun if you're hurting. Because of that experience, I didn't do any running in preparation for this marathon. I trained on the elliptical machine, but I went two solid months without running. Needless to say, I didn't really feel confident in my ability and had a couple of people on call to pick me up if I needed to drop out.
Post-race. Mood: Yeah!!!!! I did it and completely pain free (well, at least pain free from my injury)! Every mile I passed I would think, "I've gone 3 miles without pain, 8 miles, 15 miles . . ." until finally at mile 20 I knew I was going to stay strong.
The aftermath. Mood: Still giddy with excitement. This is how you're suppose to feel after a marathon. This is what makes them fun--feeling good and that you've really conquered something. I can't stop thinking about it. Even though it was a pretty tough course (16 miles uphill) and I was as sore as I've ever been after a marathon, it was fun and will be one of my favorite races. Bring on St. George!
0 comments:
Post a Comment