Friday, July 17, 2009

You Are What You Wear

It's going to sound like I'm really obsessed with my "fatness" after I do this post, but it is only because of the comments people have made to me during this pregnancy. The number has at least tripled compared to the fat comments I received with Stockton; and, considering that I'm only one pound shy of what I delivered Stockton at, I suppose most of the comments are true. In any case, some of the comments are kind of funny, so I thought I'd share them. You tell me if I'm wrong for taking a stab at my self-esteem after hearing some of these:

Friendly neighbor: Maquel, when are you due?
Maquel: October.
Friendly neighbor (with a look of shock on her face): Oohhh
Maquel: I'm having twins.
Friendly neighbor (with a look of relief on her face): Oh, well then you look good.

Tactless brother: You're fat.
Maquel: starts crying (I blame this to 1st trimester hormones)

Maquel: I'm surprised how fast I'm getting big (said when I was only 20 weeks).
A very petite hair-stylist: Yeah, I never got that big my whole pregnancy, but you are having twins.

Young woman in ward: Your belly looks like a Buddha statue.
Maquel: Are you really saying I look like Buddha?

Very knowledgeable to the fact I'm having twins relative: Maquel, I think you've got bigger on this trip.
Maquel: just smile and nod

Same knowledgeable relative (on a different occasion): You really have a good belly there.
Maquel: just smile and nod

And the latest classic that was spoken last Sunday:

Kindest and most tactful woman you'll ever meet: Maquel, you look really good.
Maquel: Oh, you're so nice.
Kindest and most tactful woman you'll ever meet: No really, you don't look too big in this dress. You were wearing something the other day and I thought, 'oh she's really big,' but you look really great in this dress.
Maquel: with a courtesy chuckle, Oh, thank you. Still wondering what I was wearing that made me look "really big."

Me, at 24 weeks in the above mentioned dress:

You are what you wear, I suppose, but I've never been more grateful for the reason why I'm fat.

15 comments:

Sarah said...

Oh Maquel, you are SO dang cute! And PLEASE spare me.... I got the "are you having twins?" comment about 50-100 times during my whole second pregnancy. I guess I could have been. After all, my second baby was 10 1/2 pounds, but still. I think you look Amazing- and I look that big with one baby when I'm about 18 weeks, so there ;) People are seriously lame!

Lindsey said...

You do not look fat - you look pregnant! There is a BIG difference there, and some people just don't understand! All I say is wear that baby belly with pride!!! Good luck with the rest of your pregnancy!

Sandy said...

Good grief!! Some people ought to be slapped (including your brother!). You are not and DO NOT look fat. You are and look pregnant (and totally awesome if you want my opinion).

Karen, Mackay, Easton & Kallie said...

there is a girl in my ward with your belly and she is having ONE...so i think you are in pretty good shape!

Alysha said...

Don't you love it?! I wasn't going to deliver until February and here I am in November with a lady thinking I am about to pop any day. It was this huge gasp of "Oh my! You must be due any day!" My response, "actually, I have another 3 months." Thank you!
But seriously, you look fabulous!

Mindy said...

You look so cute! You are not fat at all. Some people just don't know when to stop. However, I just read an article about the foolish things people say to pregnant women, and an OB/GYN commented that most people are trying to show empathy even if it is in a crude and tactless way! So, you're probably better off if you just stick with the smiling and nodding. :-)

Laura said...

I assure you that the tactless brother meant "You're fat" in the kindness most sensitive way.

And you are adorable. Wait till you're five months post-partum. Then you're less adorable.

Laura said...

Kindness meaning kindest. I really should proofread before posting.

But now you get one more comment. Hooray!

Tyler said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Tyler said...

For the record, I said: "You're huge!" I never said: "You're fat."

And, I said it with a very cute drawn out tone.

I should have concluded it with, "bless your heart!" That would have certainly made it alright.

Tyler and Erika Hanks said...

That is SO funny! I love the comments when you are pregnant, so thoughtless. You look AMAZING by the way!

Coleman, Ashley, Cash, and Presley said...

Please dont tell me the relative was my grandma ruth... she was born with no tact, and made some not lovely comments to me when i was pregnant as well!

P.S. you look adorable

Emily Widdison said...

I think you look hot! Sizzling hot! You go mama! can't wait to see these beautiful babies!

Jenni and Chad Stewart said...

What R U talkin' about Maquel? You look hot!

Becca and Brian said...

Let me just say one thing YOU ARE NOT FAT!!!! You are big with belly and adorable! You look amazing. I don't think there is anything more beautiful then a mom caring her baby (in your case babies) in her belly.