Friday, July 20, 2012

The Best 30th Birthday Ever!

My cute husband surprised me with the most amazing 30th birthday party ever!  I have always been a Jane Austen fan, but for the last couple of years, I've especially liked the BBC version of Emma, particularly the scene where Mr. Knightley and Emma dance at the ball (http://youtu.be/u3NS4gzwQAo).  Well, for my birthday this year my husband recreated that scene.  It was the most amazing, magical night!  I really felt like a princess in a fairy tale!  

The amount of preparation that went into this was overwhelming!  Everyone rented costumes and were in Regency dress (or, at least their version of Regency dress).  Clark had ordered the Jane Austen Cookbook so even dinner was authentic to the time period.   The table arrangements, the china, the pewter goblets--every detail was thought out!

The party was at our family cabin in Heber Valley.  When Clark suggested we go to the cabin for dinner, I knew something was going on, but I had no idea about the theme.  When we arrived Clark took me down to a bedroom and told me to change into a gown (he gave me a choice of two) and then meet him in the bathroom.  After I got dressed and went to the bathroom, my sister-in-law, Laura, was there to do my hair.  I still didn't know what was going on, but Laura was also dressed in a Regency gown.  Clark came in a few minutes later, also dressed in Regency and looking dashing, and said that dinner was ready.  We went upstairs to the balcony where everyone was waiting and singing "Happy Birthday."  I couldn't believe it!  To see everyone in costume--that they would even go along with everything--just for me, was so touching!  I have the best family ever! 

The family waiting for me to come out: 


Surprise! 







My dashing "Mr. Knightley:"

 
"Emma" :)
 The couples.  Clark and I were trying our serious, no smile, pose: 










And if all that wasn't enough, the night was far from over.  After dinner, we went upstairs to the reception-like room of the cabin.  Everyone started forming lines like they were about to dance.  I was thinking that surely we weren't going to dance because no one would know how they danced in Jane Austen times.  Well, I was wrong.  Clark came up to me and delivered the great lines from the movie, and we danced!  We danced the very dance from the movie!  Everyone danced the very dance from the movie!  Apparently, everyone met prior to the party to learn/rehearse the dances!  I picked up on them the best I could, which wasn't that bad considering I've seen the movie many times.  :)  Again I couldn't believe it!  It was so much fun!  And luckily, everyone seemed to have as much fun as I did.  Well, maybe not quite, but it was close!  Thank you to everyone for such a memorable evening!

The ball:




Here is the video.  Sorry my husband raised the bar for every other husband out there! :)

2 comments:

Thierry said...

Wow! Happy Birthday! Your family are all such great sports! Not sure if I would have that kind of support! haha!

Emily Widdison said...

holy cow! Are you serious! I am showing this to Kyle. This is awesome! Go Clark!!! and Happy be-lated 30 b-day! I want to come to your next party! Looks so much fun!