Wednesday, December 3, 2008

The Good and Bad in Christmas Music

It was the best of songs, it was the worst of songs . . . Unfortunately, there is a lot of bad Christmas music out there. Fortunately for me, my husband knows all of the great oldies songs that have withstood the test of time (actually Clark took over to write this last sentence). Even though Clark does have great taste in everyday music, he and I differ somewhat in our taste in Christmas music. So, you tell me. . .who's favorite Christmas song is better, mine or Clark's?

Maquel's Favorite Song: Carpenters' "Sleigh Ride"



Clark's Favorite Song: Jim Nabor's (i.e. Gomer Pile) "Go Tell it on the Mountain"


Luckily, we both have a sweet spot for the music from The Muppet Christmas Carol

7 comments:

Karen, Mackay, Easton & Kallie said...

hands down...sleigh ride...i didn't even have to listen to the songs to decide this...So i'll have to say i am a Maquel fan this time around.

Sandy said...

Nice choice with Sleigh Ride (the Carpenters do a nice job of staying true to the original while still making it their own); Not really feeling it with the Jim Nabors rendition of Go Tell It On the Mountain AND my jury is still out on the Muppets Christmas Carol. Now I feel like I know so much more about both of you!

Anonymous said...

Wow! What a surprise! This is Joan (Morgan). I found your blog from reading Lisa's, and it's so fun to get caught up with you. I watched your David Letterman video, and that was awesome! That is definitely something to brag about! How fun that you teach at Skyline...the blogging world really is fun, isn't it?

Joan (Morgan) Taylor

Anonymous said...

I should correct myself...apparently I'm about 3 years behind the times. I see you stay home now and no longer teach; I'll try to read a little more thoroughly next time! :)

Laura said...

I have to admit Maquel, it's taken me awhile for the Carpenters to grow on my Christmas picks. They still don't make my best list (as you so thoughtfully noted) but I recognize their classicness now.

I do kind of like Clarkle Sparkle a little more now. Not the song. Just Clark.

Laura said...

Okay. Now though, I've watched the video, and I think Sleigh Ride rockets to my number one--based solely on the killer special effects at the end of the video. And the fact the woman died for Chistmas.

Clark said...

Ouch. I knew some people would fail, but not everyone. This was not just a music test - this was a true meaning of Christmas test. Would people prefer a song about wealthy people who can afford sleigh rides to abuse horseflesh and oppress the weary or over a song about proclaiming the goodness of the babe in the manger? I thought Christmas Spirit was at an all-time low, but this confirms it.

Don't give up all hope now. Just go confess to your spouse that you had lost the true Spirit of Christmas and disrespected Jim Nabors and promise to behave next year and all will be forgiven.